Wednesday, January 20, 2010

Arguing With An Almost Three Year Old

Desmonda Drama's oratorical skills may be lacking some vocabulary but she more than makes up for that in her tenacity. She is going to rock those backseat battles with Calamity Jane some day. Until then she just has me to argue with and she always wins.

A sample of today's throwdowns:

The Scene: I attempt to put her shoes on so we can all go to the gym.

Desmonda: I want a hat.
Me: Okay honey let me just get your shoes on and I will get you your rain hat to go with your raincoat.
Demonda: I want a hat.
Me: I know you want a hat honey, let me just get your shoes on.
Desmonda: I want a hat.
Me: First shoes, then hat.
Desmonda: Want. A. Hat.
Me: I understand you honey, I know you want a hat. And I will get you a hat as soon as I am done with your shoes.
Desmonda: Want a hat, want a hat, want a hat. HAT!!!!
Me: Fine, here's your hat. Now can I put your shoes on?

The Scene: We have made it into the car and are driving to the gym. Somehow I have been suckered into buying them a snack from the vending machine every time we go.

Desmonda: Pretzels at the gym!
Me: Yes baby I am going to get you some pretzels at the gym.
Demonda: Pretzels at the gym.
Me: I promise you, we will have pretzels when we get to the gym.
Desmonda: Want pretzels at the gym now.
Me: We're not at the gym honey, we're in the car. I don't have any pretzels.
Desmonda: Pretzels!!!
Me: Desmonda, I told you we would get them at the gym, are we at the gym?
Desmonda: Yes.
Me: Really, we're at the gym? The car is the gym?
Desmonda: Yes, want pretzels.
Me: At the gym.
Desmonda: Pretzels!
Me: At the gym.
Desmonda: Pretzels!
Me: At the gym.
Desmonda: Pretzels!
Me: At the gym.
Desmonda: Pretzels!
Me: At the gym.
Desmonda: Pretzels!
*I bang my head into the steering wheel.*

The Scene: Desmonda rolls up with her stuffed MingMing in the stroller and hands me a giant pile of tangled Mardi Gras necklaces.

Desmonda: Want necklace for MingMing.
Me: Okay honey.
*I untangle a necklace and hand it to her*
Desmonda:
*throws necklace on ground, it is obviously not good enough for a stuffed duck from the Most Annoying Show Ever. How could I not know this?*
Want necklace for MingMing.
Me: How about this one?
Desmonda: Okay! (this is a favorite trick, saying "Okay" like it was your idea to give her what she wants)
Me: Okay honey.
*I untangle a necklace and hand it to her*
Desmonda: Want necklace for MingMing.
*I untangle a necklace and hand it to her, repeat ten times*
Me: Honey, don't you think MingMing has enough necklaces? I can't even see her anymore.
Desmonda: Want necklace for MingMing.
Me: When is your dad getting home?
Desmonda: Want necklace for MingMing.
Me: Want to watch Sesame Street?
Desmonda: Okay!

No comments:

Post a Comment